_________________________________________________________________________________

Please call 801-870-2070 to order

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Where Imagination Leads

I'm going to ramble a bit. Talk about the past. The future. Keep in mind, it's just rambling. Random thoughts. No promises. Just ideas. And it's only for those who care a wit about what goes on in my head. That's likely not very many people. But sometimes rambling to oneself is useful. Gives directions. Helps shape ideas. So in that vein...

Polished off a new chapter in "Thorns of Glory," or the project more commonly known (for now) as "Tennis Shoes 11." My chapters are longer than they have been in previous books, it seems. But there is very cool exchange between Joshua and the sword of Akish that is unlike any before, and a new twist on the Rainbow/Galaxy/Millenium Room.

Here's a sample:

It was blackness. Pure, undiluted blackness. No, no. Not just blackness. Black is a color. Black was the color of the cave after I’d doused my torch. What we were staring at now wasn’t exactly a color. It was pure emptiness, like peering into a limitless void. Like standing face to face with . . . with . . . What was that Church term? Outer Darkness? Yes, it looked like Outer Darkness. Like staring into the jaws of the ultimate “hell” of Latter-day Saint beliefs—the final destination of Satan and Cain. The sight was that dark. That empty. And that disturbing.

The project is rolling along well now. Some have asked me whether there will be more Tennis Shoes books after this one. I hope the answer is yes, but I also know that readers have been anxious for me to wrap up the current storyline that began with "Warriors of Cumorah." So that's the plan. It's just that...MAN, this story gets so complex. As one ponders all the loose ends of the last novel, "Kingdoms and Conquerors," you'll know what I mean. So I really don't know where my imagaination will lead me after this project.

I know that I feel driven to do a sequel to "Passage to Zarahemla"--but this would be a sequel without "budget restrictions." You see, the original story was always envisioned as a movie. So I kept budget very much in mind the whole time I was shaping it. The goal was to make a Book of Mormon adventure for under a million dollars. But the sequel--which I won't worry about making into feature film--will have no such limitations.

I also want to do a sequel to Eddie Fantastic. The idea for a sequel has been in my head for many years. The title would be "Eddie Fantastic Through the Parallel Worlds." But I'm not sure if there's enough interest in that project from my readers--or at least not enough interest to make it my very next project. The economy and all the time spent with the movie, as well as having ten kids, etc., etc., has taken it's toll on getting out a new book. That tunnel is lightening now and I can devote more time to artistic pursuits. Nevertheless, I may need to pursue projects that will help my bank account first. I hate it when that happens. But bills are a reality. So se la vi. (Or however you spell that in French.)

Mostly, I would like to do another film, but that may not be the Lord's plan. I'll have to find out when the time comes. I have two screenplays in mind--and another screenplay ready to go. Both of the new story ideas would also become novels, but first they would be created for the screen. And they would also have different budgets. I dread going back into the money-raising phase of movie-making. "Passage to Zarahemla" seemed to make cash for EVERYBODY except me or first investors. It sold over 60,000 units and it continues to sell. Many have placed it among their top spots for LDS films. But making a film is time-consuming and stressful. Unfortunately, it's also addicting. I loved making "Passage." And it would be a shame not to make another movie. Primarily because the learning curve for making a movie is so steep. And only a small part of that learning curve relates to making the actual movie. The most treacherous "curve" is all that has to be learned about the business and bureaucracy of movie-making. Navagating the pirahnas, or so I like to say, and trust me, there are more than I ever realized. Even as late as last week I was negotiating, negotiating, negotiating. And I presume that game will continue. I feel much better prepared to deal with that beast on a second go-around, but we'll just have to see.

I would also love to continue writing music. It's the only artform I've ever pursued wherein I was able to enjoy what I created. I can't enjoy my books. After all, I know how they all end. But the album "Whispered Visions" was a landmark project for me because I was able to enjoy it like any normal consumer. This was an extraordinary experience. However...not particularly profitable. In the LDS market, I've much enjoyed jumping book genres. I could write a drama one year, a science fiction the next, and a Christmas story the next. In the national market you can't do that as readily. If J.K. Rowling, for instance, were to now write a political thriller, she would likely have to change her name, or she might get creamed by critics. And that's just book genres. Jumping artforms is even more challenging--that is, purely from a marketing standpoint. And I definitely crossed that boundary writing music. No one sees me that way. To pursue that field is almost like starting over. But that's only if I want it to pay my bills with it. So long as other things are paying bills, it's likely that, as soon as practical, I'd pursue another album. My biggest adversary...is time.

Well...that's enough rambling. Preparing for a new week. I have a birthday this week. I also hope to write more papes on "Thorns of Glory" than any week since I began the project. I'll have to get back to you on whether I succeed...

(c) Copyright 2009, Chris Heimerdinger

10 comments:

  1. I for one am all for a sequel to Eddie fantastic, i loved that book. But I have patience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't plan to respond to each and every one of your posts, but your comments got me thinking on how the Law of Moses was based on restrictions and punishments and how Christ fullfilled it with His higher Law and in essence the gospel which is as our Modern Day Prophets have put it a "Just Do It" kind of Law. I think though that it is important to remember that even the Lord took more then one day to get things done, so I would offer a adaptation of this phrase and hope that it encourages you in your many endevors and lack of time (LOL). "Just Keep Doing It". Take Care, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for the sequel to Passage to Zarahemla. I haven't read Eddie Fantastic yet, so I can't say anything there. I'm happy you were able to find time to write more to book 11 in the tennis shoes series. This is the book, as I'm sure as others are, most anxious and patiently awaiting. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your ramblings. I cannot wait to see what you come up with next. I'm mostly antiipating the newest Tennis Shoes Book...but I might have to go back and re-read them to remember all the plot twists! lol Keep at it, and you'll have a fan in whatever you do for the rest of your time on Earth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one love Chris Heimerdinger. So whether he makes a movie, writes a book or publishes an album. I for one am interested in it. You make me think, you make me wonder and you make my imagination work. Thank you for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please oh please write the Eddie Fantastic sequel!! We are dying to know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would LOVE an Eddie Fantastic sequel! I loved your books when I was growing up, and I am loving your books again now reading them to my own kids. I have really enjoyed your writing style. I always thought Eddie Fantastic had some really great ideas (the inventions were really well thought out) and you left it open for a sequel. I just recently re-read this book and felt bad that it seemed so clear that a sequel was setup at the end of that book, but since it was written so long ago I figured that a sequel would never happen. I saw you updated the book recently so that game me some hope, but to hear you have had it on your mind for a while is really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought and read Eddie Fantastic. I have to say that as I read the last page, my thoughts went immediately to, "I have to get the sequel!" I'm sad to be researching and finding that there is no sequel yet but can tell you that if you ever get that sequel written, I will be one happy reader!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am an old guy near retirement. I have read most of the Tennis Shoe books, and stumbled across Eddie Fantastic in DI. I was impressed that it was a fun read. I actually enjoyed it more than some of your other work, probably because of the age of some of the characters. I would love to read the sequel. It is nice to read LDS fiction, knowing ahead of time that it will be clean.-Thank You

    ReplyDelete